Home, Sweet Home Museum
14 James Ln.
East Hampton, NY

Title

Home, Sweet Home Museum
14 James Ln.
East Hampton, NY

Subject

Place

Description

In 1751 the house was transferred to Matthew Mulford, son of Samuel Mulford, from John Dayton and Robert Dayton’s wife who co-owned the house. John Dayton left his wife a “negro girl” in his will (died no longer living in the house). London (also spelled Lunnon) Dayton was enslaved by John Dayton and freed by 1799. There are many records showing London owning land, often deeded from Daytons.

Aaron Isaacs Jr. also lived in the house and was the first Jewish person (later converted to Christianity) in East Hampton. He was seen buying many shoes for his slaves Files, Nab, an unnamed “negro child,” and unnamed “negro girl," He additionally recorded an unnamed “negro child ”dying 5/11/1768.

Files

Document.jpg

Collection

Citation

“Home, Sweet Home Museum
14 James Ln.
East Hampton, NY,” Plain Sight Project, accessed January 27, 2023, https://plainsightproject.org/items/show/17.