Browse

Records give John Osborne as the owner of the land in 1655. In 1676 it was the sold to Josiah Hobart, high sheriff of Suffolk County, who built the house that stands today. Capt. Josiah Hobart came to East Hampton in the third wave of settlers, found…

homesweethomeLOC.jpg
1751 the house was transferred to Matthew Mulford, son of Samuel Mulford, from John Dayton (grandson) and Robert Dayton’s wife, who owned the house after Robert Dayton left it to them in his will. John Dayton left his wife a “negro girl” in his will…

(Possible runaway)
...also agreed by major vote to hire Isac Isaacs to carry Mingo negro the servant man of Pinchus Faning to Southold & to Deliver him to his master.

Possible connection:

Also in 1774 in Southold, Constant Booth left “Joe” to…

Free man in 1676 East Hampton

Indian servt.
1675
East Hampton, British Colonial America

EarlyGardinersIslandChart02.JPG
Two Black male youths and one female Black youth placed in John Gardiner's care, July 17, 1699

LondonDayton1798.pdf
"negro man formerly a servant to John Dayton"

4-PoundingCorn300dpi.jpg

5-PeggyGrave300dpi.jpg
South End Cemetery, East Hampton, NY

HI107069575.jpg
Hedges Inn. The site of shoemaker's shop was described as "a small building in the back of the inn" - JER "Main Street". The Hedges kept detailed accounts of their transactions including those with those enslaved. The Hedges also owned slaves and…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2